Call for Development Officer
We are seeking a self-motivated and enthusiastic person who is passionate about community and is interested in developing their career with Shakespeare on the Saskatchewan. Working under the co-direction of the Artistic Director and Strategic Business Manager, the Development Officer’s role is to enhance Shakespeare on the Saskatchewan’s long-term financial sustainability by securing donor and sponsor relationships and designing special events to raise funds and diversify the organization’s revenue streams. We need someone who is adept at relationship-building, has exceptional communication skills, and is eager to learn and grow within the position. This is a part-time (approximately three days a week), one-year term position, with the possibility of extension. We value applicants with direct experience in fundraising and donor relations but are also willing to invest in someone with a passion for theatre and the relevant knowledge and skills needed for the position.
The ideal candidate will be able to identify capabilities in each of the following areas:
· SPONSORSHIP – You will devise and implement plans to meet budgeted sponsorship targets by cultivating new and existing sponsor relationships on behalf of SOTS. In collaboration with senior leadership, you will create sponsor packages that meet the needs of a variety of organizations in our community and ensure that all agreements are fulfilled.
· DONOR RELATIONS – You will develop strong relationships with new and existing donors by researching and implementing donor stewardship strategies that result in a high degree of engagement and encourage private sector, foundation, and individual support.
· FUNDRAISING & SPECIAL EVENTS – You will set the vision and design plans for fundraising opportunities and special events that meet the organization’s strategic goals. You will also assist with the promotion and execution of events, while monitoring budgets to ensure we are meeting all sales and profitability targets.
· COMMUNICATIONS & PUBLICITY – You will expand the company’s public profile and generate interest in company projects while ensuring the consistency, clarity, and accuracy of all external communications. You will also facilitate collaborations between stakeholders to enhance fundraising and development activities, while maintaining regular communications with staff, management, and artists of Shakespeare of the Saskatchewan.
Shakespeare on the Saskatchewan Festival (SOTS) is a vibrant part of the Saskatoon theatre community. Our festival has been a staple of summer in Saskatoon since 1985, attracting over 10,000 visitors annually. Each year, our audience joins us to enjoy dynamic interpretations of classic Shakespeare plays, as well as other works by local and Canadian artists all on the backdrop of the beautiful South Saskatchewan River and our brand-new festival site on the Meewasin Trail.
We engage our community through professional and innovative productions that draw inspiration and energy from Shakespeare’s works and their legacy.
Our Guiding Values
These principles are accountabilities that guide our decision-making, our interactions with each other, and how we work with those we serve.
· Collaboration: Our commitment to listening and cooperating with each other and our community in the pursuit of shared goals. We actively contribute to our community and strive to be good neighbours.
· Innovation: Our commitment to challenging and improving the status quo with open minds that explore the merits of new ideas and perspectives. We engage in experimentation and are committed to continuous learning.
· Play: Our commitment to foster celebration and fun.
· Professionalism: Our commitment to fostering the traits that make our people and productions exceptional. Integrity and quality are fundamental to who we are and how we do things. Our commitment to employ and develop local theatre practitioners endures.
· Reconciliation, Equity & Inclusion: Our commitment to fairness and consideration of diverse peoples and perspectives to foster a sense of safety and belonging. We create work that strives to impact people from all backgrounds. We respect the need to make right with all our relations and recognize that we are all Treaty people.
· Stewardship: Our commitment to the careful and responsible management of all that is entrusted to our care.
SOTS strives for a welcoming and inclusive environment where each team member can have a voice and be heard. In the search for a Development Officer, we welcome the unique contributions that you can bring in terms of education, opinions, culture, ethnicity, race, sex, gender identity and expression, nation of origin, age, languages spoken, and beliefs. We encourage submissions from members of underrepresented groups, including Indigenous Peoples, people with disabilities, and visible minorities.
· $21-24/hour, negotiable based on experience
· Extended health and dental benefits for employee and dependents after three-month probationary period
· Optional Life, Accident, and Serious Illness Insurance
· Access to Employee and Family Assistance Program
· Paid professional development leave
· Three weeks paid annual vacation
· Flexible scheduling
· Access to a limited time off in lieu bank of hours
· Ability to work partially from home, if desired
· Experience working or volunteering with nonprofit organizations
· Comfortable working with digital technologies, including Microsoft 365 applications
· Exceptional interpersonal skills, including the ability to develop and maintain strong professional relationships with a variety of stakeholders
· Organizational skills and the ability to manage one’s time effectively
· Self-motivation, problem-solving, and continuous learning
· Local travel is required so a Class 5 Drivers License & access to a vehicle are an asset
· Ability to work flexible hours, based on the needs of the business
· Post-secondary training in a related field considered an asset
· Prepare a cover letter, highlighting your qualifications for the position, including how you would promote the values of SOTS within the role of Development Officer.
· Email a single PDF file with your cover letter and resume to Strategic Business Manager, Laura Negraeff [email protected]
· Please put in the email subject line: Your last name followed by 2023DOsearch. For example, Jones2023DOsearch
· The position is available to be filled immediately and will remain open until filled. Applicants are encouraged to apply before October 16, 2023 and will be reviewed on a rolling basis.