Call for Administrative Assistant
We are seeking a highly organized individual with excellent communications skills to join our team as a part-time Administrative Assistant. Working under the direction of the Strategic Business Manager, the Administrative Assistant’s role is to support the Management of Shakespeare on the Saskatchewan through the coordination of activities between the various departments throughout the year. For many of our stakeholders, you will be the first point of contact, so it is critical that you understand and uphold the values of Shakespeare on the Saskatchewan and are able to effectively problem-solve, build relationships, and maintain accurate records to support our various operations. This position offers plenty of opportunities to learn about the inner workings of theatre and the non-profit sector, so individuals with an interest in charitable work and the local arts community are encouraged to apply. We value those with previous experience in an administrative assistant role but are also happy to consider applicants from a variety of backgrounds who can demonstrate they have the relevant knowledge and skills needed for the position. This is a one-year term contract, with the possibility of extension. You will be working approximately 20 hours per week, with some flexibility regarding how work is scheduled, so please include information regarding availability in your application, along with your qualifications, which are outlined below.
The ideal candidate will be able to identify capabilities in each of the following areas:
· CUSTOMER SERVICE – You will greet and provide support to numerous stakeholders, including audience members, artists, vendors, sponsors, donors, and community partners, in-person, on the phone, and through email. Your role is to guide all incoming communications to the appropriate individuals or departments, help problem-solve inquiries from the public, and process sales of our various products and services.
· DATA MANAGEMENT – You will develop and maintain organizational systems to ensure ease of access to all documents and data employees need to perform their work, while ensuring that all physical and digital information is secure, and confidentiality is maintained. You will also support the work of the bookkeeper and assist with reconciling various reports and maintaining the financial filing system.
· INTERNAL COMMUNICATIONS – You will maintain timely and accurate records of all internal communication activities, including taking meeting minutes, scheduling events, coordinating staff calendars and activities, and general data entry.
· OFFICE MANAGEMENT – You will maintain the physical office space to ensure a working environment that is organized, safe, and well-supplied. You will also be responsible for occasional errands, including bank runs, mailing, procuring office supplies, and simple deliveries.
Shakespeare on the Saskatchewan Festival (SOTS) is a vibrant part of the Saskatoon theatre community. Our festival has been a staple of summer in Saskatoon since 1985, attracting over 10,000 visitors annually. Each year, our audience joins us to enjoy dynamic interpretations of classic Shakespeare plays, as well as other works by local and Canadian artists all on the backdrop of the beautiful South Saskatchewan River and our brand-new festival site on the Meewasin Trail.
We engage our community through professional and innovative productions that draw inspiration and energy from Shakespeare’s works and their legacy.
Our Guiding Values
These principles are accountabilities that guide our decision-making, our interactions with each other, and how we work with those we serve.
· Collaboration: Our commitment to listening and cooperating with each other and our community in the pursuit of shared goals. We actively contribute to our community and strive to be good neighbours.
· Innovation: Our commitment to challenging and improving the status quo with open minds that explore the merits of new ideas and perspectives. We engage in experimentation and are committed to continuous learning.
· Play: Our commitment to foster celebration and fun.
· Professionalism: Our commitment to fostering the traits that make our people and productions exceptional. Integrity and quality are fundamental to who we are and how we do things. Our commitment to employ and develop local theatre practitioners endures.
· Reconciliation, Equity & Inclusion: Our commitment to fairness and consideration of diverse peoples and perspectives to foster a sense of safety and belonging. We create work that strives to impact people from all backgrounds. We respect the need to make right with all our relations and recognize that we are all Treaty people.
· Stewardship: Our commitment to the careful and responsible management of all that is entrusted to our care.
SOTS strives for a welcoming and inclusive environment where each team member can have a voice and be heard. In the search for an Administrative Assistant, we welcome the unique contributions that you can bring in terms of education, opinions, culture, ethnicity, race, sex, gender identity and expression, nation of origin, age, languages spoken, and beliefs. We encourage submissions from members of underrepresented groups, including Indigenous Peoples, people with disabilities, and visible minorities.
· $16-18/hour, negotiable based on experience
· Extended health and dental benefits for employee and dependents after three-month probationary period
· Optional Life, Accident, and Serious Illness Insurance
· Access to Employee and Family Assistance Program
· Paid professional development leave
· Three weeks paid annual vacation
· Flexible scheduling
· Access to a limited time off in lieu bank of hours
· High school diploma, or equivalent
· Class 5 Drivers License & access to a vehicle for occasional errand runs
· Post-secondary training in a related field such as office administration, business administration, communications, or theatre is considered an asset
· Comfortable working with digital technologies, including Microsoft 365 applications, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, etc.
· Strong attention to detail in verbal and written communication
· Strong organization and time-management skills
· Ability to maintain multiple schedules and coordinate activities and communications across departments
· Highly organized, punctual, and reliable
· Prepare a cover letter, highlighting your qualifications for the position, including how you would promote the values of SOTS within the role of the Administrative Assistant.
· Email a single PDF file with your cover letter and resume to Strategic Business Manager, Laura Negraeff [email protected]
· Please put in the email subject line: Your last name followed by 2023ADMINsearch. For example, Jones2023ADMINsearch
· The position is available to be filled immediately and will remain open until filled. Applicants are encouraged to apply by October 18, 2023 and will be reviewed on a rolling basis.